May 29, 2007

What a weekend!

I spent the majority of Memorial Day Weekend in Watsonville, CA at the Watsonville Antique Airplane Fly-In & Airshow. The fly-in is an annual get-together which consists of 100 or so antique (pre-1955) airplanes and their pilots, a bunch of aerobatic pilots who put on an airshow, and usually a lot of sun exposure and the resulting pain. Well, this weekend wasn't exactly the warmest weekend that Watsonville has seen this month... In fact I think it was as cold as it could possibly be for this time of year!

Anyway, needless to say I did a lot of flying and had tons of fun. The day before heading off to Watsonville, I had the opportunity to go up for a photo session with a friend of mine who makes a living doing aerial photography, except this time I was on the other side of the camera. The following three shots are courtesy of Ryan Davis. He shot these images of my friend Tom and me flying my 1950 Cessna 170A over Sonoma, CA from another aircraft in close formation.After freezing our butts off on Friday and Saturday in Watsonville, my friends and I took off for a private airstrip near the Sacramento Delta to warm up in the sun. I snapped the following image of my friends Danny and Tyler landing their 1949 Cessna 170A on the grass airstrip.